Tips And Tricks
What To Do After a Collision
Many of us in Oceanside CA have had the good fortune of not being in a car collision. When it does happen, it's easy to forget what to do to protect ourselves because of the adrenalin rushing through our bodies.
To remember all the things you need to do to avoid messy insurance issues later, keep this post-collision checklist in your glove box:
First, try to stay calm. Then focus on your body. You will need to provide information on bodily injuries to the insurance company.
- Call 911 if you or anyone else is seriously hurt.
- Call your local police to file a report of the accident. Give them as many details as possible from your perspective.
- Note any injuries (use pen & paper, phone call to voicemail, text or whatever's handy). Check for headache, shoulder pain, knee pain, back pain etc.
Second, get the other driver's information they may not live in Vista, CA and you could never see them again if not.
- The driver's license number, name and address. Check their license if possible to copy the information.
- Write down the license plate numbers of all of the cars involved in the collision besides your own.
- Write down the make, model and color of all of the other cars involved.
- Make sure to get the driver's insurance company name and the policy number.
Third, document the collision and seek medical attention. Again, if you do not have pen and paper, you can text, take pictures or call a trusted voicemail box.
- Take pictures of your injuries and damage to the cars or property involved.
- Take down witness' information (usually name and phone number will do).
- Write down what happened. The insurance companies will ask you lots of questions and you'll want to be clear on what you'll say and not leave anything out.
- Seek prompt medical attention. You may think you are alright, but you may actually be hurt and not feel pain because of the adrenalin rush.
- If you are hurt, show or tell the doctor the notes you made at the time of the accident.
Fourth, follow through with the appropriate parties.
- Call your insurance company as soon as you get the chance and mention all of the notes you took at the time of the collision.
- Call your lawyer for guidance and information on dealing with the insurance companies involved.
Collisions are unusual experiences, so it is easy to forget the simple steps we can take to protect ourselves and avoid auto repair . Take a moment now to print this out and put it in your glove box. Hopefully you will never have to use it, but if you do get into a collision this checklist will make sure you have everything you need.
Safe driving from your friends at North County Import Specialist!