Tips And Tricks
Car Safety Tips for Summer Traveling
Summer is a great time to pack up and take a road trip. There are a few things that you might want to pack in your trunk to make sure a car mishap does not turn into a major fiasco. You also will want to do a few car checks and preventative measures to keep your car running smoothly on the trip out of Vista, CA. For your emergency kit you can buy simple items and pack your own, or you can buy the deluxe “survive a nuclear disaster” kit from a variety of internet sites or stores. No matter what kit you decide on, have these basics in your trunk in a bright colored bag:
- Flash light
- Tire inflator - usually this comes in a can and is enough to fill one tire or you can buy a small compressor to inflate a tire
- Jumper cables
- Duct tape
- Utility knife
- Leather gloves
- Light sticks, road flares or reflective triangles (you could also get an inexpensive reflective vest)
- First aid kit
- Gallon of water
Since this article is about summer travel, we won’t go over anything that you might need for cold weather. Do remember though, if you are traveling to a warmer area, heat, water and shade become an issue and you may have not thought of the sun as a threat. Not everyone is an auto electrical service technician and if that AC breaks sometimes a gallon of water in the trunk can become a lifesaver for yourself or your radiator.
Before you leave also do these simple car safety checks:
- Do the tires have enough tread?
- Do you have all the tools in the car necessary to change a tire?
- Is the spare tire in the car and in working condition?
- Do you know how to change the tire on this particular car?
- Are all of the car fluids topped off?
- Have you changed the car oil recently enough and is it at the right level?
- Do you have a map in case the GPS goes bonkers?
Just a few of these handy items in the trunk and a last minute check of the oil level can mean the difference between making lasting memories
and having a heck of a time with engine repair on the side of the road. At North County Import Specialist we can assist you with all your car care needs
and we look forward to seeing you and your car for your next check-up.
Happy summer traveling!
North County Import Specialist